A nurse’s uniform is not complete without a pair of quality compression socks. These socks take good care of a nurse’s legs and allow them to work efficiently for long hours. A nurse’s job is very exhausting as they have to work for long hours. In such a situation, adequate measures should be taken to prevent discomfort and pain. Compression socks are designed specially to improve blood circulation in legs and prevent swelling and discomfort. They are used by not only nurses but also athletes, gymnasts, and performers because of the benefits they offer.
Why Every Nurse Should Wear Compression Socks
Compression socks are a must for nurses because they tend to solve a lot of medical conditions related to long working hours and exhaustion. Following are the main benefits of wearing compression socks:
They Reduce Swelling and Injuries
Being a nurse, you have to be on your feet for around 10 to 12 hours, which can be really exhausting. Being on your feet for so long can cause swelling in legs, which will stop you from performing your job properly. Compression socks stabilize the blood flow in the legs and keep the muscle tissue in the right condition so that injuries can recover in a short time. This way, no blood or fluids pool in the legs and swelling is prevented.
They Prevent Varicose or Spider Veins
Varicose veins or spider veins are a common problem, which occurs due to extended hours of standing. This happens mostly in people who keep on standing or sitting for long periods. This habit allows blood pooling in the legs, and the veins in the legs get enlarged. Spider veins are painful and look weird too. To avoid the discomfort and pain from this condition, a nurse should regularly wear compression socks as it relieves the symptoms of varicose veins and even prevent it from happening in the first place.
They Reduce Soreness
Soreness of legs is caused due to challenging work schedules. As a nurse, your duty is tough and you have to be attentive and mobile all the time. Too much pressure and exertion can cause soreness in legs, which causes unnecessary pain and discomfort. Compression socks are designed specially to relieve such symptoms and improve blood circulation and oxygen flow. They do this by making sure that lactic acid doesn’t accumulate in the muscles in legs.
They Provide Coolness and Reduce Fatigue
The biggest reason to use compression socks as a nurse is that they reduce fatigue and keep you in a comfortable position throughout the day. There will be no pain or discomfort, and you’ll be able to perform your duties efficiently without any hassle.
What to Look For When Choosing Compression Socks for Nurses
When it comes to choosing the right compression socks, there are many factors that should be considered. The right choice will depend on your specific needs and requirements. Thus, a certain pair of compression socks might work well for your friend, but it isn’t necessary that it’ll suit you too.
Following are the factors that you should take into account before buying the best compression socks for yourself:
The first thing that you should consider is the material of the compression socks. You can choose from a variety of materials, as these socks are made up of many types of materials. You can find compression socks made of spandex, Lycra, and rubber. The material you choose depends on your comfort level.
You must also consider whether you work in a hot and humid environment or a cold and dry one and choose accordingly. For instance, if you work in a hot environment, consider materials that are breathable and antimicrobial.
The level of compression ranges from least compressed to most compressed and should also be taken into account. You can find light, moderate, firm and extra-firm compression socks on the market. If you just want comfort, you can go for the light compression level, while if you are suffering from spider or varicose veins, you should go for the firm or extra-firm ones.
There are many types of compression socks available according to their length or size. You can find socks up to knee length or thigh length, and some are even available in full length. If you feel your whole leg is suffering from discomfort, joint pain, or varicose veins, you must consider buying the full-length or thigh-length compression socks. However, if your condition is not so severe, knee-length socks would also be able to provide the comfort you need.
4 Best Choices For Nurses
There are many brands of compression socks available on the market, so choosing one can be difficult. Thus, we have made a list of the best compression socks that will help you perform your duty as a nurse efficiently.
1. SocksLane Cotton Compression Socks
These cotton compression socks are perfect for nurses, especially if they are suffering from plantar fasciitis, edema, varicose veins, or shin splints. Following are its main features:
- Medical-Grade Graduated Compression – these medical-grade graduated compression socks have a compression level of 15/20 mm Hg. This is really helpful in reducing fatigue and improving blood flow in the legs.
- Progressive Stretch Technology – the socks are made up of 65% combed cotton and are equipped with quality anti-allergy fibers. The material is very comfortable and stretchy, which reduces varicose veins and DVT. The socks are non-binding and use a progressive stretching technology that is neither too tight nor too loose, allowing the socks to stay up all day long.
- Breathable and Anti-Allergic – these cotton compression socks have an extra-large cuff, and there are reinforced seams that help them last long even if they are washed on a daily basis. The socks are breathable, anti-allergic, and anti-odor, reducing the risk of various diseases such as skin irritation and allergies and discomfort. Thus, these socks are perfect for wearing for extended periods.
- Trendy and Fashionable – the socks are very trendy and fashionable and come with beautiful designs, colors and patterns. The raw materials used in designing the socks are tested for good quality and high performance.
See Price & Reviews on Amazon
- The socks are perfect for wearing for long hours because of the progressive stretching technology.
- The socks are breathable, anti-odor and anti-allergic.
- They are perfect for improving various medical conditions such as edema, varicose veins, and plantar fasciitis.
2. Physix Gear Sport Compression Socks
If you want to keep up with your style as well as keep yourself comfortable, you must try the Physix Gear Sport compression socks. As a nurse, your job must be very tiring and require you to be on your feet at all times, which is why these socks will prevent swelling and soreness in your legs. Following are its main features:
- Gradient Compression – these Physix Gear Sport stamina socks are designed to provide gradient compression, which is very beneficial for treating various medical conditions related to legs. They offer a compression level of 20-30 mm Hg, which is higher than the SocksLane cotton compression socks. These socks are good for dealing with issues such as swollen legs, varicose veins, blood clots, calf compression, and stiffness.
- Boost in Blood Circulation – these compression socks are the best for improving blood circulation in legs and keeping them at a comfortable level. You can even use them all day, and they’ll provide comfort to your legs and prevent them from swelling or being sore. Physix Gear Sport is already famous in the fitness industry, and its products are considered very reliable.
- Extra-Comfortable Material – the Physix Gear Sport compression socks are made up of premium fabric and are stitched professionally. Though they are compression socks, they are very smooth and easy to put on. The socks are made up of comfortable and quality materials and can be washed regularly without losing the level of compression.
- Versatility – the Physix Gear Sport compression socks are quite versatile and can be used in both summers and winters. They provide instant support and comfort and are available in a variety of styles and colors.
See Price & Reviews on Amazon
- They are equipped with true graduated compression.
- They come with money-back guarantees.
- They use anti-bacterial fabric and are designed to last for a long time.
3. Nurse Mates Women’s Compression Trouser Sock
Nurse’s Mates women’s compression trouser sock is knee length and manufactured to improve blood circulation in legs. They are colorful and stylish and are especially made for all hardworking nurses out there. Following are the features of these compression socks:
- Ultra-Soft Material – the Nurse Mates women’s compression socks are made up of durable and ultra-soft fabric. The top is a non-binding welt and reaches the knee. The socks are very comfortable and consist of heel and toe pockets to offer more comfort to the wearer. The ultra-soft microfiber blend in the socks makes it easier to wear them for extended periods.
- Graduated Compression – the compression socks are equipped with true graduated compression of 12-14 mm Hg. This compression level is good for relieving discomfort and pain in legs due to tough working schedules. If you are a nurse, you must be on your toes all the time and these socks will help prevent various medical conditions that might arise due to the nature of your work such as varicose or spider veins, swelling, and soreness.
- Snug Fit – the Nurse Mates compression socks are available in various sizes, all of which provide a snug fit to the wearer. They also provide a good level of compression and are neither too tight nor too loose. The socks fit comfortably and instantly relieve aches or pains in the leg area.
See Price & Reviews on Amazon
- Very affordable.
- Very soft and comfortable.
- Reduce fatigue and soreness in legs.
4. Sockwell Women’s Circulator Compression Socks
Sockwell women’s circulator compression socks are manufactured to assist nurses in their challenging work routines. The socks are crafted in USA and are made up of quality materials to provide comfort throughout the day. Following are the noteworthy features of this pair:
- Reduces Fatigue and Swelling – these socks minimize swelling by preventing blood pooling in the leg. Blood pooling occurs when you stand at one place for an extended period, which causes exertion on the veins in the leg and results in swelling. The Sockwell socks are designed in such a way that they prevent swelling by exerting the right level of compression on the legs.
- Promotes Blood Circulation – the Sockwell women’s circulator compression socks promote blood circulation in the legs and minimize the chances of varicose veins. They have a 15-20 mm Hg compression level, which is just right for stabilizing the muscles and preventing them from being damaged due to fatigue and exhaustion.
- Temperature Control – one of the best features of these compression socks is that they maintain a good level of temperature. Whether it is hot or cold, your feet will remain at a comfortable temperature because of this feature. For instance, if the weather is hot, the socks absorb the moisture and keep the feet smooth and dry.
- Everyday Comfort – the socks can be used all day during various activities. If you’re a nurse, these socks will help you perform your duties more efficiently as they’ll energize you and support your legs by stabilizing the muscles.
See Price & Reviews on Amazon
- They offer temperature and odor control.
- They have a seamless toe closure.
- They absorb moisture and keep the feet dry.
5 Nursing Aspects of Care
Nursing requires great care and professionalism and is a very demanding job. As a nurse, you have to be very attentive all the time and perform your duties with passion. ‘Care’ is the most important thing that a nurse should instill in their daily working routine. Following are the 5 nursing aspects of care:
- Commitment – A nurse should be committed to their profession and should be ready to perform to their fullest on a daily basis. Commitment plays an important role in the life of a nurse.
- Conscience – Conscience means the way you put forward your moral responsibilities toward a patient. Your conscience will help you throughout your life as a nurse, and it will help solve the concerns of your patients.
- Competence – competence means the way a nurse performs their duty with full motivation. As a nurse, you have to arrive on time and perform your duties adequately according to the rules.
- Compassion – another important aspect of nursing is compassion. A nurse without compassion can’t perform their duty to the fullest. As the sense of compassion grows, a nurse will be able to take care of their patients efficiently.
- Confidence – as a nurse, you should have confidence in your skills and abilities as only then will you be able to take care of your patients the way they deserve.
The job of a nurse is very challenging and demanding. You’ll have to be active and attentive all the time and take care of patients throughout the day. Nursing requires around 10 to 12 hours of tough work due to which you can get exhausted. One way to reduce this fatigue and prevent swelling and soreness in legs is to use the best compression socks. This post aims to help you choose the best compression socks for nurses.